Thursday, December 26, 2013

Sarajevo, Bosnia December 2, 2013

Hey Mom!

I miss you and Steven more than you even know! I love you both so much! 

I'm glad that you had a great Thanksgiving. I bet it was nice to see Uncle Dave and his family! Grandma is so funny with choosing unorthodox recipes and dishes. Steven was not thrilled at the fact that there was no turkey this year. Ahh, remember the carrot cake with pineapple? Haha, ahh, grandma-- I love her!

The baptism on Saturday was great! Fwas pretty overwhelmed afterwards (kind of reminded me of how I felt after I went through the temple for the first time), so I talked to him for a while in the chapel, while everyone else got treats organized in the back. We talked about what would happen when he got the gift of the Holy Ghost and about how it's okay to not feel really different or to not understand everything that he was feeling. He is such a sweetheart. On Sunday he was feeling so much better, and we had the chance to talk some more. He found a house with his friend, Sanela, who is also a member! They are both so great and I know that they are being looked after.

Elder and Sister C are angels here on this earth. They are our senior couple here and are so great to us. They had us over for Thanksgiving dinner and somehow Sister C managed to make sweet potatoes, stuffing, turkey, etc. etc. with a lot of creativity and improvisation. It tasted so good! It really felt like Thanksgiving, which was definitely something I was thankful for. The Ls, who are an American family here working for the embassy had us over for Thanksgiving leftovers on Friday and she has a reputation in our mission for being a phenomenal cook. SO GOOD. With Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving leftovers, heavy baptism treats and a huge Sunday dinner, I've managed to keep my weight constant. Yay! 7.5 pounds more to go! I really think I can do it! I know you can too! 

We had a huge Thanksgiving party at the church on Thursday night! Sister H and I peeled and chopped 40+ potatoes for potato soup and also made 60+ snickerdoodles for it. It was a huge success! 50+ nonmembers came and we played Thanksgiving games, made a grateful chain (just a list of things we were all thankful for), took lots of pictures, and then ended up showing the Joseph Smith movie afterwards. We had around 15 people stay after to watch the movie and ask us questions about the church. It was really cool and Sister Hand I got up and bore our testimonies afterwards and offered copies of the Book of Mormon. While we have elders here, they're the Zone Leaders over all of Bosnia and Montenegro, so they do a lot of traveling and have meetings in Zagreb all the time, so we get to (sometimes is a "have to") do a lot of the translation, teaching, and organizing branch events on our own. The members here call us the Zone Leaders' mothers. We were exhausted afterwards, but we're so grateful for how it all turned out. :)

This week I have loved studying in 2 Nephi 2 and 4. There will be hard things in this life, but we are agents meant to act and not to be acted upon by the pushings and pulls of the world. I love how relatable Nephi is in 2 Nephi 4 and how he talks about the sins which do so easily beset him, but how he glories in the greatness and goodness of God. I know that I am so imperfect. I have so many things that I do wrong everyday, but I know that we can be pure, despite our human frailties, as long as we have our focus on Him. I love this gospel and the opportunity that I have to be a missionary. If I could just serve a mission with our whole family, then I would just stay out here forever.

I love you so much! I hope you have a great week!!

S ljubavlju uvijek,

Sestra Orgill

No comments:

Post a Comment