Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Sarajevo, Bosnia November 25, 2013

Hey Mom!

I cannot believe that Steven is still recovering from his concussion. Poor guy. I'll pray for him this week so that he can heal and get back into the swing of things soon. I'm so glad that he has you to take care of him. You're the best mother in the world! How's our little Dillet? 

I feel really good about my time that I spent in Tuzla. I know that I did the things that I was supposed to and we got a lot of people on the path that they needed to be on, and that definitely helps me transition to being in Sarajevo. Also, Sarajevo's beautiful! Mom, it's weird to think about you walking these streets when you were about my age! It's a lot bigger than Tuzla, but everyone has been so sweet and we have a bunch of great investigators. I really love Sister H. It's nice being with someone who I already knew from the MTC. She is so good-natured and really calm about things that might stress me out. Also, she speaks Bosnian REALLY well-- there are a lot of grammar rules that we have to remember, but she loves learning and gets me excited to learn more. She has GREAT faith and always talks about how we can see miracles here, which I love. I'm learning a lot from her and I hope we get to stay together for a while. :)

For Thanksgiving we have the afternoon off to eat some turkey :) The senior couple here is having us over for dinner and it will be so fun to take some time to help cook (something we don't get a lot of time to do) and think about all of our blessings! According to the current transfer schedule, I could be home to eat some yummy pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving with you next year :) Ahh, where has the time gone?!

We had to move apartments this week, so since I had seen the driving video and have my license, I had to drive through Sarajevo for hours this week-- that was an experience! The roads are windy, narrow, and driving laws don't really apply to the local drivers...haha, ahh, I really hope I never have to drive here again. We receive a lot of real protection as missionaries. :) It was definitely worth it, though-- our new apartment is great, doesn't have mold growing all over the walls (I'm fairly confident that's a health hazard..) and has closets for our clothes. 

It's snowing for the first time this winter today and it's gorgeous! Waking up to that this morning and looking out our window, which is up on a hill, and seeing the snow fall on the Bosnian countryside was something we couldn't capture on our cameras! I'll try again this week to send you some pictures. We had a lot of time this week devoted to moving all of our stuff, which is unfortunate, but we were blessed and made some good progress with a lot of our investigators. We have a lot of people that are really close to baptism, and we're still working with Sabina, so that will be really exciting if we can get her ready.

F, the man I talked about last week, was diagnosed with kidney cancer this week. :( He can't afford treatment and he also lost his apartment this week, so he had to sleep on the street. So, so sad. I have a hard time keeping it together whenever he bears his testimony, because he's so strong. His baptism is this Saturday, which we are all really looking forward to. Pray for him to be able to find a place to live and to feel well. I feel like he's really touched me more than anyone else that I've met out here.

One thing that I've loved studying this week is simple, but how God never changes. He is constant in an ever-changing world. If we are truly anchored to Him, then we cannot be swayed by the beliefs of the day. Through more sincere and consistent prayer we can know His desires for what we should be doing. Often we rely too fully on our own intelligence and thoughts, but if we go to the Lord, He will help us to know what we should be doing and what we can do to be better. With a lot of our decisions this week, we have tried to more proactively think about Nephi's response to his brothers in 1 Nephi 15, "have ye inquired of the Lord"? I love that.

Have a great week and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!

S ljubavlju uvijek,

Sister Orgill

No comments:

Post a Comment