Saturday, February 15, 2014

February 10, 2014 Zagreb, Croatia

Hey Mom!

This week was so good. I feel like I say that every week, haha. But that's a good thing, right? Transfers happened so we saw a bunch of the missionaries from around the Balkans, and because Sister H was training she was able to come and stay with us for a night. It was so great seeing her! 

We worked again with two of the people are teaching, D and D, this week, a cute couple who work as doctors and are both inactive and they are doing so well! They need to come back to church. It's just that first Sunday hump that is hard for them. At Correlation Meeting, someone discouraged us from teaching D and D. I was so sad.  I guess I showed it on my face, because Elder K, who was sitting next to me, leaned over, smiled and said "Don't let his lack of faith, tear down yours." I don't know why that was so powerful in that moment, but it immediately made me feel calm and assured.That night we went to a lesson with one of our members and she mentioned that she was in need of a spiritual boost-- the missionary who baptized her, who was always strong in the gospel, now is married and goes to ASU, wrote her a long letter.  He is no longer active in the church. He had read a bunch of stuff in really old talks in the history of the church and he said he didn't know if he believed it was true anymore. It really shook her. I told her that she's not anchored to another person, but that she's anchored in Christ. I told her what Elder K told me and she seemed more comforted than when we started. We went with her to teach our investigator, I,  a lesson about the plan of salvation with the elders and it was perfect. No better healing balm than going out with the missionaries and bearing your testimony with all the power and conviction that you have.

I and A (tattoo artist from Texas) came to church this week and it was such a good experience! Elder C was delaying going back to Sarajevo, so I had him sit with A during sacrament meeting, and they were instantly best buds. I'm so grateful for him. I sat with I and convinced him to stay for Sunday school-- something we've been trying for the past few weeks! In class we talked about the nature of God and he loved it and asked so many questions. He couldn't stay for priesthood, but next week, we'll get him to stay for all three hours :) Church was so good. I love being able to go and take the sacrament every week.

Sister W is doing awesome! She works so hard and is also such a hoot. Sister W shared this talk with me this week that I love. I wish it was translated into Croatian so we could just share it with all of our less actives.http://www.lds.org/liahona/2013/09/young-adults/his-grace-is-sufficient?lang=eng&query=grace
I really like this part: "Too many are giving up on the Church because they are tired of constantly feeling like they are falling short. They have tried in the past, but they continually feel like they are not good enough. They don't understand grace.
There should never be just two options: perfection or giving up. When learning the piano, are the only options performing at Carnegie Hall or quitting? No. Growth and development take time. Learning takes time. When we understand grace, we understand that God is long-suffering, that change is a process, and that repentance is a pattern in our lives. When we understand grace, we understand that the blessings of Christ’s Atonement are continuous and His strength is perfect in our weakness (see2 Corinthians 12:9). When we understand grace, we can, as it says in the Doctrine and Covenants, “continue in patience until [we] are perfected” (D&C 67:13)." Perfect, right? 

I hope you have a wonderful week!

Love always,

Sister Orgill

P.S. I attached a picture of an example I used when teaching English class this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment