Sunday, June 1, 2014

Zagreb, Croatia April 28, 2014

Hey Mom,

I'm doing well. We have been busy, I don't know where the time has gone.

Sister Hobbs, who works in the office with us, loves music and for the past few months she has been trying to organize a spring concert at the church with local choirs and bands. We had a number of groups who said that they wouldn't come because it was at our church, but regardless of all that, this past weekend she totally pulled it off! The church was the busiest and most full that I have seen since I've been here. It was so much fun. We had about 4 groups perform, we saw people who we had talked to on the street who ended up coming, and everyone was asking when we were going to do the next one. It was such a positive community event. We got a bunch of phone numbers and met people who said that they'd want to meet up with us. I think the best part of the night was when everyone had finished getting refreshments and one of the conductors sat down at the piano and started playing traditional Croatian songs and everyone around the room all started singing together. It was so cute and it definitely was one of the best nights I've had on my mission.

I was reading through my old journals this week and I laughed when I realized that I have a life replete with mistakes--a mean comment or thought, an extra pound (or 10!) gained, being lazier and less-productive than I should have been, the list goes on and on. I love the idea that it doesn't matter how many times you fall down, wipe out, make a complete and utter fool of yourself, completely crash and burn. It really only matters how many times you get back up and keep going. You can beat yourself up over being imperfect, or you can lift your head back up and say you'll try better next time. I know I have developed the ability to be more relaxed out here, because there are a million and one things that are out of my control. Members, other missionaries, people on the street who we meet everyday. I wish we all wouldn't give up on ourselves as often as we do. We can be so overly self-critical.

I think I know what you mean talking about the transformation in returned-missionaries. I was talking this week with Sister E and we were talking about people that we admire. They are confident, not in themselves, but because they draw their confidence from God. I've noticed that there's a stark contrast between someone who has the merits of the world and is confident, but tends to be more self-absorbed versus someone who derives their confidence from an abiding faith and trust in our Heavenly Father. Someone who will more likely turn inward to focus on their own interests vs. someone who will continually be looking outward to help others, like the Savior did.

We went to Plitvica last week for Pday. So much fun! I'll send you some pictures of our most recent escapades. We're going to play basketball again today.

I love you lots! Glad you had a great week! :)

Sister Orgill

At a restaurant talking to some one on the phone. Sister E kept telling me I looked like a business woman and then proceeded to take pictures of me.

At a castle on our preparation day

No comments:

Post a Comment