Sunday, August 31, 2014

Zagreb, Croatia August 11, 2014

Hey Mom,
 
We had a great week again! I cannot believe another week has flown by! We started off the week and we taught at Zone Conference with the zone leaders. I'm used to teaching the missionaries at Zone Conference, so I wasn't too nervous.  It was the first time for Sister B. She did such a great job! We prepared a lot for it, and it all came together really well. She said she didn't feel adequate teaching seasoned missionaries about how they could be better when she was so new, and I told her to just share the things that she had experienced and that she knew to be true. She bore a great testimony of finding! She shared this quote from President Benson in Preach My Gospel which I love, "We are commanded by God to take this gospel to all the world. That is the cause that must unite us today. Only the gospel will save the world from the calamity of its own self-destruction. Only the gospel will unite men of all races and nationalities in peace. Only the gospel will bring joy, happiness, and salvationto the human family."
 
We tracted a huge building last night. We were trying different approaches, but we weren't having any luck. I taught Sister Bradley a new phrase about the Book of Mormon, and she was a little nervous to try out a new phrase since she had mainly been sticking to one that I taught her when she first got here. Within a minute of practice, the very first door she tried out her new phrase. The woman invited us in for cake! We said we would love to come in and just have water, but she insisted on feeding us. She believes in God, but is just not a fan of churches. I completely understand that, and I think I would be the same way if I had grown up here. I think there is some great potential with her! We also met this really great guy in the same building who works as a sailor. He invited us in, but we couldn't go inside because he lives alone. He said he would love to meet up and talk some more, so we got his number and gave it to the elders. It was great!
 
I agree with what you said about compliments. We all just really need to build each other up more! We were doing companionship study two weeks ago, and I was talking about some things that I wanted and needed to work on. Sister Bradley turns to me and she says, "you are seriously perfect. You do this well, this well, that well, you always look great, you speak Croatian fluently (not true), etc. etc." She then said, you do everything so well and then there's me and I'm not good at any of these missionary things. I just shook my head and told her how impressed I was with her, and how wonderfully she was doing. I told her that I couldn't believe how much progress in the language she had made and in her confidence in teaching and in lessons. I realized that we had admired the skills and abilities of one another, and had failed to tell each other how great we really believed each other to be! I made more of a conscious effort this week to build her up and when I was mentally impressed with something she did, I made an effort to verbalize it. 

President Grant wants all these trainees that just came out a few weeks ago to be ready to train by the end of this 9 weeks, so this week, I gave Sister B the phone, the map, and the lead in all of our lessons. At the thought of it, she was completely overwhelmed! But every day she did it. We made it through this whole week with her guiding us where we needed to go, taking more of an active role in the what we were teaching, and her answering phone calls in Croatian! She is doing so great and is visibly more confident in the work we do and the things she says.
 
We fly out of Zagreb on November 25 in the morning, so I think I'll fly into St. Louis that night probably around 9 or 10. Right before Thanksgiving! I think you're going to get an e-mail in the next few weeks from the office about my travel plans. :)
 
We're going to the Zoo again so Sister B can see it. I love you lots and I hope you have a great week!!
 
Sister Orgill

No comments:

Post a Comment